Calgary's Attractions in Nearby Communities: Fort Macleod
Return to: SW of Calgary, towns around Calgary
This town, about 105 km south of High River, with a commanding view of the surrounding countryside, is protected on one side by the Oldman River. Fort Macleod became the first area headquarters for the Northwest Mounted Police (now the "RCMP") in 1874. The town is named after Colonel James Farquharson Macleod (1836-1894), the commander of the Northwest Moutned Police (the "NWMP") and later a judge in the supreme court of the North-West Territories. The "Mounties" were sent to keep American whiskey traders out of Canada, and away from the Indians. While the fort is no longer there, Alberta's oldest settlement is marked by a cairn on 2nd Ave and 25th St., the center of the town's historical district. There are over 30 historical buildings in the downtown core.
Town info: http://www.town.fortmacleod.ab.ca/
Fort Macleod Business Directory
World of Fear Figure 8 Auto racing
May to Sept
Canada Day Celebrations
Antique Show & Sale
Musical Rides Shows
Daily shows feature the RCMP's famous musical ride
World Indigenous Peoples Day
Heritage Fair & Quilt Show
Annual Turkey Supper
This event has been going for near 50 years
Santa Clause Parade
Rotary Carole Festival
Fort Macleod Attractions
(403) 553-4404 or 1-800-540-9229
This 1912-era Theatre is the second oldest operating theatre in Canada. In 1985 it was refurbished and now presents summer playhouse productions. Through the rest of the year, it plays first-run movies and host other top-name performers.
Fort Macleod Museume
25th Street and 3rd Ave.
Exhibits show the history of the plains Indians, the mounted police, and the early settlers. The Mounted Patrol Musical Ride is presented at the Fort four times daily in July and August. The museum is open daily May to June and September to October from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and July to August 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Over the winter the hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission fee.
Head Smashed-In Buffalo Jumpe
16 km NW of town on highway 785
This UNESCO World Heritage site shows the buffalo hunting techniques of the Plains Indians, who for over 5,000 years hunted buffalo by stampeding entire herds to their death over sandstone cliffs. Afterwards, the Indians processed their kill at the campsite below the cliffs. The site is named for a young Indian brave who stood under the ledge to watch the buffalo fall past him. As the carcasses piled up, his skull was crushed by the mass of dead buffalo. From May 15 to Labour Day, the site is open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. the rest of the year. Admission fee. Allow 2 hours.