Calgary Travel: Canada Customs Rules

Allowed into Canada All items must be clean and free of pests, soil and roots.

From Most Countries

Cheese Except if packed in whey.

20 kg/person to a maximum of $20.

Baby formula Commercially packaged

Seeds Small seed:500 g/person,

Large seed (such as beans): 5 kg

Cut flowers Except coniferousfoliage/green cones.

Must not be for propagation.

Fresh fruits: tropical

250 kg/person

Fruits and vegetables:

frozen, canned or dried 20 kg/person Some fresh vegetables Root crops are regulated. Contact CFIA

Herbs, spices, tea, coffee, condiments


Bakery goods,candies, etc.

Except those containing meat

Fish and seafood

All species except puffer fish and Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir)

Leather goods and skins

Fully tanned hides and skins

Wood, carvings

Must be free of bark, insects

Allowed from the United States.

Proof of origin may be required. Update to Import Restrictions - United States

Dairy Products


Temperate fruits (e.g. those grown in Canada)

Restricted, contact CFIA

House Plants

Most mainland U.S. States

Coniferous wreaths, Christmas trees

Some mainland U.S. States

Conifers and garden plants

Restricted, contact CFIA


fresh/frozen/chilled 20 kg/person

Meat products:

jerky, sausages, deli meats, patties, etc. 20 kg/person

Game animal carcasses

With hunter's permit

Animal fat or suet

20 kg/person

Plants, animals, and their products from other countries may be prohibited, or may require additional documents before they are allowed entry into Canada. Contact CFIA.

When are documents required?

Meat and dairy products, nuts, plants, fruits and live animals, if allowed into Canada, may require permits issued in Canada in advance, and/or certificates from the country of origin. Contact CFIA.

Without required documents, entry is not permitted. Some products, plants or animals may be seized and disposed of, or ordered removed from Canada. Others may require treatment before they can stay. Travellers are responsible for all costs related to disposal, quarantine or treatment.

Does my pet need a permit?

Many live animals require permits. Often animals require a health inspection in the country of origin. Contact CFIA well in advance. A domestic dog or cat travelling with the owner need only meet the rabies certification requirements. Check the CFIA Web site under "Pet Imports" for more information.

Can CFIA supply all the information I need about plants and animals?

No. Some provinces have special requirements, as do other federal departments and agencies such as Environment Canada and the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. For instance, Canada has import and export requirements for some 30,000 wild animals, including fish, and plant species and their products listed in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

For information regarding CITES, phone the Canadian Wildlife Service at 1- 800-668-6767. Web site:

Alcohol Imports

Alcohol Imports (Canada Border Services Agency): Canadian residents returning to Canada | Visitors to Canada

Calgary Travel Agent/Tour Search:  

Travel Agent/Tour Search Form...